. . . about the 22 of Jan. the land we saw was [- - - -] latitude 36 north longitude 23 west. Feb. 188.8.131.52 fair winds [- - - - -] the trade winds which blew from the north [- - - - -] the rate of 8 miles an hour. Feb. 7 fair wind [- - -] had meeting on deck but it did not last [- -] thing very common in this warm climate which caused us to break up sooner.
Feb. 9 & 10. Very hot the thermometer rose to a 100 degrees.
Feb. 14 an Irishman fell overboard we were running 8 miles an hour. The ship was stopped and a boat despatched and went about a mile and a half and brought him back.
Feb. 15. Very hot the thermometer rose one 100 degrees. We had meeting on deck and was ably addressed on the subject relative to crossing the plains by Elders Pack, Spiers, & [-]. Here it was clam for a few days. Feb. 20. was [- - - - - - - - - -] Feb. 21. lost sight of St. Domingo & Jamaica & saw the Island of Cuba a very mountainous island to the north of us. The mountains rise like this [WRITTEN HERE HAS DRAWN MOUNTAINS IN HIS JOURNAL] pointed at the top. Feb. 24 thermometer rose to 115 degrees. We were 19 degrees north latitude. Feb. 28 it blew a strong gale yet it was in our favor but the sails had to be taken for fear it should break the masts but it soon abated and left us a fair about 3 o'clock p.m. We entered the Gulf of Mexico sailing west by north. Mar. 3 we began to notice that the water was muddy. A steamer came to tug into the river but she was too small. She went away and about 9 o'clock p.m. we anchored at mouth of the river. Mar. 4 the steamer porpoises came and tugged us to the bar or mud bank but she could not pull us through the mud. [-] anchored again until 4 p.m. when two large steamers namely "Hercules" & "Phoenix" were fastened to us one on each side & tried to drag us through the mud but they could not. [p. 1] They [- - -] with us next day but all to no purpose [- - -] here state we were not far from land but [- - -] we could not see it here. We stopped till [- - -] hired a steam tug to take us to New Orleans. [- - -] we started getting boxes into the steamer [- - -] night [- - - - -] and at 8 we started leaving old Kennebec, stuck in the mud. [-] then 120 miles from New Orleans and away we went rejoicing and viewing the land in both sides of us I thought it was a curious sort of land indeed I thought it was not capable of sustaining any cattle but to my surprise I soon saw several herds of cattle grazing on the sides of the river seemingly in first condition in the afternoon we drew to the side to take in wood for the steamer and we most of us went onshore and [- - - - -] and woman. It being 9 weeks [- - - - -] we a lot of us went to the house and they gave several [-] a thing very acceptable I assure you. We set sail again and landed at New Orleans about 4 o'clock in the morning. We got our luggage off and the inspector came to see our boxes but he never saw mine. Brother [John S.] Higbee chartered "The Pride of the West" to take us to St. Louis for 2 and 1/2 dollars a head and 30 cents percent allowing 1 cent per head free. We got on the boat but stayed all night here. During the night it was thunder and lightning. Brother Colbrege [Corbridge] from Burnley [Balckburn] lost their oldest girl but once it was thought that she fell over [- - - - - - - - - - - -] to take it ill. We left New Orleans the 14 of March and arrived at St. Louis the 16 of Mar. making along passage of 12 days. Many scores of the brethren and sisters came to meet us but Jane and me stayed and many others all night on the boat. The next day our luggage was got off and Jane and me went with a family from [-]shire to house. We are with them now waiting until Brother John [-] comes having heard by telegraph that they have come to the bar 20 miles below them New Orleans. [p. 2]
[END OF CORRESPONDANCE]
BIB: Bell, Robert. CORRESPONDANCE (Ms 5903), pp. 1-2. fd. 1 item #2; Acc. #348. (CHL)